View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013, 08:52 PM

jsbihn is on a distinguished road
Default Need the GURUs - Starting issues and gas smell

Hey all,
As the subject line stated, I am having some issues.
I have used my Torque and ELM327 to read if there are any codes and none seem to pop up.

The problem has been going on for the last week or so. Here are what I have found out and done so far:

1) Originally the truck started without issue, but the idle would cycle 800-1000-800-1000.... but if I pushed on the gas it went away and didnt come back.

2) The truck started to cycle the starter longer or harder then it normally should. I would turn the key and the truck would try to start with the starter turning but then finally it would start.

3) The long cycling starter become one that it would cycle until the truck would stop it from cycling from not starting. Then as soon as I turned the key engine it would start right up.

So I pulled apart the intake and used CRC throttle body cleaner and a tooth brush to get the carbon off the butterfly and around the opening.
Seemed to be ok for a start or two, but then it was back to the same thing again. The difference is this time I dont see the engine rev cycling anymore. So I went and grabbed 3 bottles of seafoam and ran it through the tank. Never saw any smoke out the rear and I ran the engine hard.

After all that I am seeing that it is still having a hard time starting, cycling the starter once then it turning off and then on the second attempt to start it... finally starting.

There is a new issue also that popped up just in the last few days, I am smelling a heavy gas smell from the rear. It is only there breifly after I shut the truck off. I dont see anything on the ground to indicate a leak

So I am wondering what you guys might think

Thanks in advance