View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013, 06:39 PM

fyr145 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need the GURUs - Starting issues and gas smell

well, IF its one of the 3 issues that came to mind, then i'd start at the easiest one to look for and work toward the more illusive ones.

if its the vapor recovery tube, then you'll have to get under the rig with a flashlight and small mirror (maybe use a telescoping type like mechanics use) and start at the fuel neck and look for wet/damp areas that would indicate a leak. Work your way downward towards the tank. The vapor recovery tube should be right around that main fuel tube. Take your time and look at BOTH tubes to see if there are any leaks.

On the other hand, IF its the gas cap, simply replacing the gas cap will solve that problem as they are vented but then you'll know that with the new cap, you have a fresh gasket that seals the rim of the fuel inlet.

Lastly, if after you've looked at the tubes, move toward the top of the tank right where the filler tube meets up with the fuel tank itself and start from there. Again, take your time and look closely for any kind of wetness or dampness that would indicate a leak. If you're smelling it, then the remnants of a leak would be present. Remember that the leak doesn't have to be huge, just a small enough of a leak can make you smell the fuel.

I don't recall what year your H2 was, but if its that fuel filler tube, I have the part numbers for you.

The area I am referencing is part #5, note the vapor recovery tube on top.
Attached Images