View Single Post
Old 06-06-2006, 06:18 PM
Hummer Expert

Aubs is off the scale
Default Re: Why the FJ Cruiser is no Threat to the H3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyX
I would say the crappy fuel mileage is at least partially because it is quick for an SUV. More power means less MPG in most cases.

Also...out of curiousity...how many H2's did you see off-road in the first 2 or 3 months of its production? Adam and Alec were pretty quick to take theirs' off road...and even they waited 4 months or so IIRC.

At least give me room for four passengers and crappy mileage. For example, the BMW X5 has a base 3.0 V6 that is poorer with mileage than the 4.4 V8 with VVT. So more power doesn't always mean less economy. The 4.4 X5 weighs 4927lbs. (curb) and is 16/22 according to EPA. The FJ 4WD automatic: 4295lbs (curb) with EPA est. 17/21. So you get two extra cylinders in the X5, another 700 lbs, .4 more liters and better MPG.

However, Edmunds observed 14.1 with the 4.4 in a power-bashing comparo, versus 15.88 in the Xterra/FJ showdown for the FJ at probably normal speeds.

Still, lb/lb, liter/liter it has less engine, poorer mileage. But maybe it's not fair to compare V6/V8 even if the V8 gets better mileage.

I'd pose to you, how many H3's did you see off-road within three months of the release? The H2 is a different animal in my opinion. I just want to see one of these things in action, and not stuck in a mudpit somewhere while rodeo music blares. http://www.autospies.com/article/ind...4&categoryId=1