View Single Post
Old 06-21-2007, 07:29 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Some closures are O.K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummBebe
Big Oil fills your H2's gas tank, Big Coal doesn't exist on the West side, but they do heat the East, and Big Wood builds all of our new HUGE McMansions here in California.

If you look deeper, BLM Land in the only land that is use to generate income for the Federal Gov. It is Land that is otherwise unfit for Human habitation, but hold resouces that the US Govenment permits these companies to use. Here in the West, it is very closely managed by the BLM, so that resources are not completely depleted.

There is no Oil drilling in National Forests. They do permit companies like Sierra Pacific Industries to cut trees in National Forests, to keep our Forests healthy.

The articles that CP posted are OLD. 1997, 2000 and the most recent 2006. For the amount of truth in the last article, you may as well be reading the NY Post. It's crap.

All the Land we are discussing here is protected and managed. The trails are being closed so the spotted owl can have more habitat, like 20 million acres is not enough. It's being closed for the Mountain yellow legged frog and for the Valley red legged frog.

Or, they are concerned about sediment getting into the lakes, from a creek that we may cross 3 miles away. Totally bogus.

Most of what BRC has done for Land use has only been since 2005. That may be who they used to be, but their direction has completely changed.

I don't see anything about oil, coal or trees in here.
J, follow the money. Who are the stake holders of, and donors to, Blue Ribbon? Don't tell me the number of donors, I want the real dollar figures broken down from individuals, PACS, corporations, lobbyists, etc.

You and Alec post the links. You're obviously talking elsewhere about this thread.

How many DUES paying members are there vs the Sierra Club?
Quote:
funding has historically come from timber, mining, petroleum, and motorized recreation industries. Funders have included the Alaska Forestry Association, American Forest and Paper Association, American Petroleum Institute, Boise Cascade, Battle Mountain Gold, Chevron, Colorado Mining Association, Crown Butte Mines, Exxon, Honda (US), Idaho Mining Association, Louisiana Pacific, Marathon Oil, Polaris, Potlach Corp, Rocky Mountain Oil and Gas, Ski-Doo, Suzuki, and Yamaha. (Blue Ribbon Magazine)
Quote:
Companies funding the Blue Ribbon Coalition are also involved in intensive lobbying efforts in Washington, DC to advance their anti-environmental agenda, including the demise of the proposed policy to protect roadless areas in our national forests. These companies have spent $46,115,748 lobbying Congress the Forest Service and other federal agencies in during the period the Administration has been working on a roadless area proposal (1997 ? 1999), and have had 146 lobbyists on average working on their behalf during this period.
J, I state again, that I believe your heart is in the right place so please show me NEW info that BRC has changed since LAST YEAR. Show me they are not accepting money from these same companies.

We're all for preserving what little we've got and hopefully expanding to new areas, but from what I'm reading BRC isn't the place to put the cash.

I believe that working with environmental groups to come up with a mutually acceptable plan would be most acceptable and palatable to all. Find a common ground among groups. Work with the Nature Conservatory and the Sierra Club. Both of those need to be educated and understand what Tread Lightly really means.