View Single Post
Old 04-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Hummer Veteran

mailsurf is on a distinguished road
Default Re: what type of locker is best choice?

I?ve been looking into this for the last month; I can?t buy Eaton lookers in SA but can buy ARB. From my research I?ve found a number of pro?s and con?s.

Firstly I have an Adventure that has a rear diff which is basically the same as E-Locker, it?s engaged by pressing a button and 12v is sent to the diff. This fire?s up a magnet that then engages the locking mechanism. My standard electronic diff has failed twice, both times down to electrics rather than a mechanical failure and mess inside.

E-Locker Pro?s
Cheaper

E-Locker Con?s
Only recommend in 4 low, a reason for this is, if your diff gets hot the magnet can function less efficient and the locker will disengage, or fail totally, which is what I think happened to mine.

Air-Locker Pro?s
No metal to metal contact and no magnet to overheat or fail.
Can be used in 4-H as well as 4 low.
You don?t have to stop the H3, change to 4-L to engage the locker.
The locker can run up to speeds of 80k?s but drivers be warned, this is controlled only by the driver and things can go wrong, but works well if you are driving in stand, or want to engage in sand if you suddenly come across a difficult section.

Air-Locker Con?s
You still have a failure point, the compressor so you can?t get away from the electrics.
More expensive.

But in my opinion you get what you pay for and will be going for ABR, unless anyone else can throw in some valid arguments.