View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 04:03 PM
Hummer Professional

Dave92270 is on a distinguished road
Default sensitive steering problem

hi guys,

got some problem here; I've been lately off-roading my H3 on local moderately bumpy dirtroads and similar not too rough terrain; however I've been driving quite fast, easily up to 70mph and full speed in curves as well - fast enough that a mayor got concerned about safety of others (mainly occasional pedestrians who complained to him repeatedly) and paid me a visit, asking to quit these high speed passes well, anyway - I gradually noticed that my steering behaves weird. It's really sensitive, and the vehicle just sort of swimms on the road a bit, I have to constantly keep it in straight line. There is very little resistance in the steering, I could steer with one finger. It's not loose in the way that the wheel would move without wheels responding, but it's crap ride now.

I took the vehicle to the local Hummer service place; the mechanic checked out the steering and didn't find anything what could be causing the problem, however since the H3 logo on the steering wheel is not straight anymore he suggested the wheels geometry check, I'll go there next week to do it. But, I feel that geometry alone shouldn't make the steering so damn sensitive.

Aside of this problem, while off-roading I also managed to rip off what the mechanic called a "silent block" on the front differential. He'll try to order it, but this shouldn't have impact on steering.

OK, I ordered the H3 service manual from Helminc, however it will take a while till I'll get it because I moved to Europe. I need to fix this steering issue sooner.

Well, any ideas what could be causing the steering problem? What should I check?
Thanks! Any help appreciated.