View Single Post
Old 05-25-2006, 06:13 PM
Hummer Veteran

rkcrawl is off the scale
Default Re: Anyone else break their transfer case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummBebe
Would Dana 60's be a viable replacement in the H3??? Is it possible? I would like to change to 4:88's as I have 35" tires.

Would West Coat Differential be the people to talk to???

http://www.differentials.com/

The problem with a D60 on the H3 is the front... The front is IFS so a D60 from someone like WCD would probably want to be a full straight axle swap... not sure it you would want to get into something like that. As far swapping in a different IFS diff... That might be very challenging. Doesn't look like a lot of space where the current case is located.

The easy swap (but I guess gears are the issue?) would be the cast iron AAM case which would be a bolt in replacement. Other possible solutions might be the front case from an current GM 3/4 ton IFS 4x4 or maybe a H2 front case? Again space and mounting would probably be the first issues, then connection the outer axle shafts, etc...

I've seen custom 9" housing made, and if the center section fit under the front of the H3 I am sure it could be made to work with the stock IFS. In fact I know of a guy who did just that with a Toyota front IFS. With a nodular case and billet steel bearing caps you would end up with a "nearly" bullet proof front diff (though your probably start stressing the front half shafts ) and lots of options for a front locker too

As much as it would be a pain, for now, I'd let the dealer fix it under warranty before I spent ALOT of money on a customer solution. 1) Maybe GM will own up to fixing it right or 2) You end up doing something else once the warrantly is up and you've had time to really investigate solutions.

I'll be on the trails with mine soon and if I run into the same kind of issue, I'll be looking into solutions as well.