View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 10:40 PM
Hummer Expert

Hellz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tranny cooler installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwillnc
As I quickly approach the need I do this myself, I've been thinking; obviously what's there is flawed and must be fixed, however I looked into why it went the way it did, while in sure many have long since figured it out, I just felt reason to state what I found
The factory unit allows the teams to heat up faster when cold, it's just as important for the transmission to be heated to a level as it is to cool it.
The factory unit also cools by use of liquid which inheritaly (sp) cools better than air

So by using just the stock external you lose the heating properties and a certain amount of cooling

Regardless of this, the system must be altered

im not sure that it is important for the tranny be heated to a certian level for operation. now if we are talking well below zero degrees, thats another issue.

i live in Minnesota, it is freezing or below freezing nearly half the year here. hell, we are expecting 8 inches of snow by tomorrow.. APRIL 11th !!!!
my tranny works and had always worked without issues when it is cold.

with my cooler installed.. i have seen the temp go up to about 120 degrees, but that is the max. 90% of the time though the needle doesnt move. it just sits right at the 100 degree mark.

by natural friction, the fluid/tranny will heat itself up to its rated viscosity. any additional heat besides that, that is the heat that needs to go.
4.88 gears *** Cognito UCA & SwayBar Links *** Kryptonite tie rods *** K&N CAI *** 37x12.50xR20 BFG KM2 Mud Terrain's *** 20x10 Black KMC Rockstars *** EBC Slotted Rotors *** N-FAB Sidesteps *** Line-X Grill *** Recon Smoke Cab Lights ***Diablo Predator U7193