View Single Post
Old 01-14-2006, 09:42 PM

rodster is off the scale

Thanks for the link, Ree. I've been all over that thread a few times.

Took a drive down to Boulder City today to Radio World. What a place! It's a small shop run by a guy who was very patient and answered all my questions.

Snipping one connector is standard stuff. He didn't have the coax like the one pictured above but he did give me the replacement connector. That'll be easy to install since I already have the coax crimper.

I bought a standard issue mount that'll clamp on my Gobi rack. Also and based on Phil's recommendation, I bought a swivel joint (not a spring) to put between the antenna and the base. That'll allow for laying the antenna flat for garage parking and when driving through tall brush.

I ended up with a four foot antenna. The difference in money between it and the shorter models was peanuts but the increase in range is, in the shop owner's opinion, worth it. After hearing his explanation why I have to agree. I don't know if the added length and range will every be necessary but it'll be nice to have if it is.

I also picked up a SWR meter to tune the antenna. It was cheaper to buy the meter ($20) than drive back down to his store for the free tune, which he did offer.

Here's a different take on coax length: The gent at the radio shop (he's been a ham for decades and playing with CBs since Smokey was a bandit) said that length is not critical. He said the coax needs only be as long as it takes to reach the radio. He did advise I have the install nearly finalized before tuning so I expect the coax length will impact that.

Thanks again everyone for all the assistance. I'm off to the garage to install.