View Single Post
Old 06-09-2005, 04:12 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by h2turbo:
Here's my view of why someone would choose a remote mount over a traditional turbo system. <span class="ev_code_RED">Novelty? </span>

1. Cost - if a front mount kit is available, it generally costs more money and will cost more to install. I've searched around a little bit and the only turbo system I could find for the H2 was one in R&D that was selling for $10,500. Generally turbo systems are custom jobs that cost a ton of money. <span class="ev_code_RED">Remember the old adage- You get what you pay for. </span>

2. Heat - The other downside of a custom front mount kit is that it is difficult to find a location where the glowing turbo won't melt other components in your engine compartment. When we visited with Kenny Duttweiler he said that many times he's seen people melt the fluid container for the master and get brake fluid everywhere. <span class="ev_code_RED">So you're going to put it out back and relatively unprotected? Bright. </span>

3. Emissions - it is more difficult to pass emissions with the turbos in front of the cats. They take heat away from the cats, so the cats take longer to fire up. <span class="ev_code_RED">Hmmmm... is that why turbo-charged race cars have glowing headers & shoot fire on downshifts? </span>

In terms of performance I don't have any data of our system vs. a front mount.<span class="ev_code_RED">(How convenient) </span> We generally get just as good of gains in horsepower and torque and we get full boost by 3000 rpm. The H2 engine is pumping out a lot of exhaust gases. When you turn a hose on that is full of water, water immediately starts coming out the other end.<span class="ev_code_RED"> That's IF the hose is filled with water. Since you don't sound like you know anything about liquids let me enlighten you with this- liquids can't be compressed. Gases can. Learn it, live it, love it. </span> It is the same with air. <span class="ev_code_RED">No, it's not the same. </span> When we did the calculations it takes about .05 seconds to move enough air to charge the intake pipe on a v8 engine. I'll try to get some of our customers to post on the board. Lag is just not an issue, especially with such a big, heavy vehicle.<span class="ev_code_RED"> I'm calling BS on this. </span> People like to debate this forever and start going back to their physics classes, but the bottom line is that it works. <span class="ev_code_RED">But it's more than likely not the most efficient set up for the H2. </span>

If you've got a ton of money, time and willingness to do a custom setup then you'll be happy with a front mounted system. If you want to get the best value for horsepower then you can't beat our system.<span class="ev_code_RED">Yeah, if you're a chiseler and won't mind an ass end full of extra heat and all of the related problems it will cause components that weren't designed to be exposed to those kinds of temperatures. </span>

Hope that helps! <span class="ev_code_RED">Nope, but it was entertaining. </span>

Ben<span class="ev_code_RED"> Dover</span> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>