View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 12:24 PM
Hummer Veteran

jersey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Check Engine & Trans fluid questions

Yup, checked the whole front end courtesy of lifetime alignment plan at Firestone. All was well there. Had all the ignition coils changed and that smoothed it right out.

I'm wish I could changed the title of this thread to Slow Death of a Hummer. After a month and a week of smooth rides here comes Death at my doorstep again. The car has started overheating reaching the 3/4 mark every day even after short rides. In February we changed the Thermostat out for factory new dealer replacement, also changed the belt and tensioner and radiator at the same time. This time Mechanic suggested the fan clutch because it seemed to move to freely when the car was off. I said ok, however two hours later when he tested it, the temp still came up. He got an exchange for the radiator we installed thinking the one in there was possibly defective; retested and the temp still came up. Pulled everything off the front of the engine double checked all his work and still is still scratching his head. He's going to replace the thermostat today even though its just a few months old.
He said "I hope it's not the head gasket".

I say, I see no loss of coolant whatsoever over the last few months since doing the radiator. No oil discoloration or mixing of fluids, no excessive tailpipe smoke. Nothing to really indicate an obvious head gasket problem. Hopefully it's just a faulty thermostat. Fingers crossed. Updates to follow.