View Single Post
Old 12-27-2005, 03:17 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Talljeeper:
You obviously chose the wrong wheel design...did you do a trial fit, or did you choose, "Thats looks cool"....seems to me if you had performed a trial fit you would have noted what offest was required. There also the issue of backspace which you never noted as well. <span class="ev_code_RED">4 WHeel Parts checked with Rancho and that backspace/ offset is what was required. 15, 16, and 17" all got the same. 18 and 20" was 5" of backspace. It wasn't enough and required wheel spacers ro it wouldn't touch the nuckle. Rancho's resonse to my questions/ issue was "the wheels should be 20" because that's what the kit was designed with and the kit was not designed to air down your tires." That quote is straight from their tech./ install dept. I'm sure since you drive a mighty Jeep off road, you know how great a 20" rim will do offroad and aired down.</span>

Ranchos H3 system is a very well designed, quality suspension system.<span class="ev_code_RED">It is well built, but the design of where that front nuckle ends up, is total BS... unless your cool with 20" rims or the entire tread sticking out of your fenders.I know you Jeepssters like that look. The problem with that is that some of the states that I go to, will pull you over in two seconds for that.</span>

What you describe as far as ill handling can easily be attributed to tire tread design, improper inflation, poor alignment.....on and on.... <span class="ev_code_RED">Nope, I was assured everythign was aligned and balanced and inflated properly. And it was. The tires are not very aggressive, so I cannot see that being an issue at just higher speeds.</span>
Having had multiple Rancho systems over the years, I have yet to see a poor design from them, including the H3.<span class="ev_code_RED">Good for you.</span>

The H3 suspension is not a rocket science setup....

Also the comment on brakes.....anytime you add rotational mass at the axle brake performance degrades..... <span class="ev_code_RED">Yep, that was his point! Having to use a 20" rim or larger is a bad design.</span>

While the RC setup looks pretty nice, the Rancho won't void the drivetrain warranty like the RC probably will.

You guys need to recognize the difference between these two mfg's..

Rancho bar none produces some of the finest off-road suspension systems manufactured...H3 included.

There is a reason the RC isn't being mass produced an that is to address bump steer issues...I am sure thay will reach a compromise on the design. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>