View Single Post
Old 06-18-2006, 03:11 AM
Hummer Professional

31_bandits is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is the LR3 a Serious Off-Road Competitor?

somewhat related:

i'm no expert in off-roading. Thusly disclaimed, some simple physics can be applied to estimate/guesstimate some things.

like a 35 deg side slope... i think the H2 is rated by hummer for 20-something, not nearly as impressive as the LR3's spec. But the reality is that side-slope-capability would boil down to

1. weight of vehicle
2. width of vehicle
3. heigh of center of gravity
4. traction of the tires going sideways
and maybe how much pressure it takes to pull a tire off a rim in some wildly extreme case.

2. and 3. are going to define when the vehicle will start to tip, and 1 and 4 are going to define when it would start to slide. When the weight times some tangent or sine of the angle exceeds traction, you slide. When the center of gravity moves outside of the lower wheel, you tip.

no mystical property (as far as i can figure this evening) can overcome those basic things.

as for car-magazine review of offroading capability... yawn.

same for jeep magazine reviews, where hummer bias will usually dominate the review, or at least often dominate the review. I remember once an article "set out to prove" that the H1 was far worse than a stock wrangler w/o lockers, and the article had about 15,085 comments about the cost of the H1, and basically seemed wildly price-jaded.

They may or may not have included an actual comment on offroading among the cost-insults/panic, i can't remember. so...

yawn. lol