View Single Post
Old 11-01-2006, 01:00 AM
Hummer Professional

ChevyHighPerformance is off the scale
Default Re: My key is stuck in the ignition switch

There is a cylinder lock actuator system in the steering column. This prevents you from turning the key to lock while the auto tranny is in gear and prevents the steering wheel from being locked. There is a cylinder lock actuator that has a spring loaded pin that engages the cylinder lock and prevents it from going to lock. There is a park position switch in the floor shifter. When you are in park 12 volts is connected to the cylinder lock actuator, the pin in is pulled in, and the key cylinder is free to rotate to the lock position to let you pull the key out. The system is pretty simple but getting at the components is pretty hard. There is an ignition lock cylinder release button on the underside of the ignition lock that will override the system (i.e., push the pin in) to let you remove the key. Off hand I don't know if there is an access hole for the button or if you have to remove the steering wheel clamshell covers. This is a sensitive area because of the air bag.

The other area is in the floor shifter. You'll have to remove the shifter knob (screw in base of knob on radio side) and the shift boot trim. I don't know if this will give you enough access to the park postion switch. There should be two yellow wires going to the park position switch to help you locate it.

Sorry, I can't offer any clear solutions right now. I don't know if it is best to try and remove the steering column covers and look for the release button on the underside of the cylinder lock (chances are it won't have "release button" written on it to help you) or wiggle the wires around the park position switch in case you have a loose contact.