View Single Post
Old 11-27-2006, 12:13 AM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: need your help (engine cranking)

How has your heat been working Groundhawg? When I blew out my headgasket the heat was piss poor. No matter what you did it would not produce max heat. When you were moving it would put out ok heat, but not the temps that it should have been. Then when I would get off an on ramp and begin to slow down the heat would instantly drop down quite noticably to luke warm at best. Also has your engine temps been? Have you noticed the gauge fluctuating alot? These would all tell tale signs of an internal problem. ie bad headgasket, cracked head, cracked block. As you said earlier the surge tank was over flowing, which again is not a good sign. I hate to say it but I think you'll have to pull the heads off. I do have another VERY easy way for you to tell if the engine is fubar. Good autoparts stores will sell is called a cumbustion gas leak detector. It is a liquid that you poor in your coolant. I believe you then fire the truck up to let it run a couple of minutes. If you have traces of combustion gasses in your coolant the leak detector will turn it a different color, blue or something like that I think. I would give this whirl, it will tell you for sure whether or not you need to tear the engine down.

If you choose to buy it make sure that you dont buy leak dector. Leak detector will dye the coolant which you will only be able to find external leaks. Do not buy this, it wont help you. If you want some though I do happen to have a case sitting around, and I'll happily send you a vile of it.

-007=