View Single Post
Old 06-17-2006, 07:07 AM
Hummer Expert

Aubs is off the scale
Default Re: Is the LR3 a Serious Off-Road Competitor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1
You don't need to spend $60K for a rear locker version either. It's a $625 option on all models including the V6 version which retails for $39K.

So where does the LR3 fall down compared to the H3? The crawl ratio for the LR3 is 45.6, compared to the H3's 68.9 with the manual transmission. Oh, and there is no manual transmission available (big minus for me!). The V6LR3 has about the same acceleration performance as the H3, but requires premium gas, and gets 2 miles per gallon poorer fuel economy. Also the seat adjusters are not as complete as the luxury version of the H3, and they eliminated the lumbar adjustment on the LR3 in 2006 for some strange reason with a side air bag redesign. I was able to get more comfortable in the H3, although the LR3 on-road ride is better and it is slightly quieter. With the factory accessories, the H3 is certainly better armored. The H3 is a better value, too, being about $8K less expensive for a comparable vehicle.

While there is a lot to like about the LR3 (nice things GM could copy), I would say if you are off-road, and had to get home again, I'd be in the H3.

Michael

I found that I couldn't find anything in stock that had the rear locker that wasn't an SE or HSE, so that's why the high price. Theoretically, it's cheap enough, but it's not really on the base models. They just do not order/build these cars for people looking to beat them up. I mean, the catalog is essentially worthless, and the H3 catalog makes the LR3 catalog look like just pretty eye candy. I think that the LR3 could do alright, but there's no way I'd buy one to find out. I haven't seen enough evidence that makes me believe it will be what I'd like, especially for the price.

I still think the exhaust is way too exposed, and there are these little metal fins on the rear suspension to hide the exhaust, perfect for getting hung up on.

Additionally, I think the H3 is a much, much better value. You can get one, loaded with Nav, brushguards, upgraded armor, off-road lights, roof crossbows, and whatever else you might want for less than most LR3's. That's kind of biased I guess, because with the LR3 you get better acceleration, cornering, safety, room, etc. but as a pure off-roader that's acceptable on-road, the H3 is definately the better choice. On-road, the LR3 is a much better performer. I threw this one I drove into a hard corner, and could feel the cornering brake system come on and stop it from rolling. It was pretty cool. Not sure I'd do that in the H3.

I do like the folding flat seats, and the third row WILL ACTUALLY ACCOMODATE TWO ADULT HUMANS, who can sit normally, with legroom and cupholders. That is awesome in my opinion. And LR makes a lot better use of the size. The LR3 is near the size of my H2, but has drastically better storage, visibility, and versatility. The Nav system is fun because it shows you the position of the front tires, which I can see being helpful off-road. I'm always hanging out trying to figure out how they're turned.

I wish they would have let me borrow it this weekend, I could have taken it out and really driven it properly. LR is not concerned with selling this to people like us, so they really don't demonstrate the abilities too well. The test track is a sideslope and some cobbles. I still have mixed thoughts on this thing. I don't think I'd be happy with it in all honesty. It's maybe more practical than the H3, but off-road I might be taking the bypass.

As far as the armor, I couldn't find any skid plates in the US catalog, and there are sliders, but they're not for off-roading. They're about 3 inches in diameter, and they come in black or CHROME, and would probably do nothing to protect your sills. The chrome says it all.