View Single Post
Old 06-17-2006, 08:55 PM
Hummer Veteran

Location: Northwest of Los Angeles, just outside all the traffic
Michael1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is the LR3 a Serious Off-Road Competitor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubs
I still think the exhaust is way too exposed, and there are these little metal fins on the rear suspension to hide the exhaust, perfect for getting hung up on.

I believe those are heat shields to protect the spare tire. They are pretty far up there, but I suppose they could get hung up.

Quote:
I wish they would have let me borrow it this weekend, I could have taken it out and really driven it properly. LR is not concerned with selling this to people like us, so they really don't demonstrate the abilities too well.

And the Hummer dealer let you take out an H3 for the weekend? Go on one of the LR Adventure days, just like I did with the Hummer dealer today. By the way, the H3 is fantastic off-road.

Quote:
As far as the armor, I couldn't find any skid plates in the US catalog, and there are sliders, but they're not for off-roading. They're about 3 inches in diameter, and they come in black or CHROME, and would probably do nothing to protect your sills. The chrome says it all.

I think you may have been looking at the step bars. The sliders are absolutely for off-roading. Side Protection Tubes P/N VTD500010.
They have both, just like Hummer.

Good luck with your decision.

Michael