Thread: ONSTAR ISSUE
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 03:20 PM
Hummer Veteran

nychot is on a distinguished road
Default ONSTAR ISSUE

I now have about 6000 miles on my '07 h3 lux that i leased last december. just had my first service -- tire rotation, oil change, etc. Onstar notified me it was due. I think onstar is a great thing to have, and i love the hummer. but i just had my first real-life experience with onstar and was not thrilled. the other day i pulled into a parking lot, put the gear into park and routinely turned off the ignition and tried to take the key out. it wouldnt budge. it seemed locked in place. after a few attempts i noticed that the key would only go as far as accessory and not turn completely off. after a number of attempts, i figured the ignition switch was jammed in some way and i made my first call to onstar, calling the emergency number. the woman said she'd give me an extra 30 minutes free (i'm not sure why) and turned me over to a service tech, or as i now call him 'the *******.' i explained the problem and he said that since the car was driveable i should take it to the dealer. when i explained that that was impossible, that the dealer was far away, that it was late in the day, and that i had to get home with a prescription i had gone out for, he said, well, the vehicle's driveable so we won't come out to try to repair or tow. i explained that if i drove home i wouldn;'t be able to turn off the vehicle and the battery would run down. he gave me the same boilerplate response. i hung up. in the end i resolved the problem, which actually was my error -- my cellphone was behind the gear lever and by about 1/16th of an inch was keeping the gear shift lever from fully going into park, even though it showed it was in park, and as a result the igniotion wouldnt turn off and the key wouldnt come out. once i moved the phone slightly, i turned the key and the ignition turned off. whew! so the reason the ignition didnt shut off was my stupid cellphone. still, i was a bit upset by the lack of help and interest by the onstar service rep. not only did he not offer any help, or ask any questions like -- is something blocking the shift lever, or whatever, but he seemed totally disinterested in my problem. i was thrilled to have fixed the problem mysdelf but i drove home wondering just how good onstar really is when it comes to solving driver issues on the road. anyone else have an onstar issues?