View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 11:38 PM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 6.2L & 6l80 Power Uprades

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2Much
Ryaleon, gears is your answer, especially if you are pushing 37's. that will give you the instant return to the stock feel once you get that ratio right. I suggest going 4.88's as that is as big as you can go on the front. Adding intake and exhaust and headers in that order will help too, but you need the gears first. Any time you go up in tire size you should be looking to regear so that your power gets rebalanced correctly. You don't do this, this is why you downshift so much. Your engine has almost 100 more horsepower stock so you have plenty of power. We have to do tons of mods just to get near where you are stock.

In short- regear is your answer.
Agreed...'gears'...when I went to 37s the umph dropped. I moved to 4.56s and it ended up a tad snappier that stock. 4.88 will pump it up another notch, but be mindful of your top end...your RPMs will be higher on the top end the lower you go with your gearing. So if you do a lot of highway travel 4.56s might be more 'fuel efficient' for you than 4.88s.

This tool might be helpful in your decision making process: http://www.4lo.com/calc/geartire.php

If you're dead set on going the CAI route AND if you don't plan on serious off-roading, you could always replace the stock air box with a K&N and cut a section out of the hood directly above and mount a universal scoop to force outside air in. That would be better IMO than a snorkel...snorkels are worthless unless you plan on submerging your vehicle in water that can reach over the air box, and if you're in water that deep you better have a diesel or you'll have more worries than water in your intake.

These Landys, FJs, Jeeps, and whatnot that run around town with snorkels crack me up...99.5% of the snorkels I've seen were installed merely for show.

Last edited by guruerror : 09-02-2013 at 11:54 PM.