Thread: Crawl Ratio??
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2006, 09:46 PM
Hummer Veteran

bjc is off the scale
Default Re: Crawl Ratio??

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
Too many times you have to ride the clutch to get out of sand, over rocks, etc., and if you have to stop going uphill, an auto makes it a lot easier.
When riding over a boulder with a manual, you have the same problem at a very low speed, you ride the clutch, then have to test your brake reflex skills just like an auto.

I think offroad driving techniques really aren't that different for automatics vs. manuals. Brake-throttle-modulation techniques used for wheeling automatic transmissions are comparable to feathering the clutch in manuals. There are times I love the control of a manual (usually offroad), and times I wish I had an automatic (like when I go to pay a parking garage attendent located on a steep grade and some A-hole pulls up 2 inches behind me).
Birch White H3 Manual, Adventure Package, Sunroof, Trailering Package, Off-Road Lamps, Splashguards, Black Tubular Assist Steps, Black Crossbows, Mudder Mats, Ski Rack, Warn XD9000 w/ DOI Hawse Winch Bumper, DOI Prototype Skid Plates, M101A1 3/4 ton trailer.