View Single Post
Old 08-23-2006, 09:40 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nav System/Backup Camera Question

Haven't done an H2, but did a H3. Installation was not bad, rear camera view is good for the H3. I mounted the rear camera (ND1 Pioneer) on the top of the hitch (probably about the same clearance as on an H2 to the bottom of the tire). You can just see the bottom of the spare at the top of the screen.

During bright sunlight, with the sunroof open, wearing polarized sunglasses, I have no problems seeing the screen. It is washed out, but still readable. You can tilt the screen to five different positions, and depending on where the sun is situated, this does help.
Nice thing about the Z1 is the ability to customize the screens:

Bad thing, is the Bluetooth is terrible. Due to the feedback through the mic from the speakers, the person on the other end hears an echo that drives the nuts, and make me switch off bluetooth and use the phone directly. (I have been in discussion with Pioneer about why they don't make a highly directional mic.)

They make adapters to install these units, and will allow you to keep Onstar; I used Peripheral. So, if it fits into the double din opening okay, then it is not a hard device to install. I installed mine in about 4 hours, and a half hour was wasted routing the rear camera wire to a location I could not use.

I should add that the Ducati Boy bypass does not work on units manufactured after sometime in June (mine was May so I lucked out). It appears Pioneer read the forum and put a stop to the bypass with a redesign. At this time Ducati boy is working on a new unit to see if a bypass is possible. As of last night, no bypass is available for the newer units.

Last edited by f5fstop : 08-23-2006 at 09:43 PM.