Thread: Found Some Mud
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2012, 05:30 AM
Hummer Veteran

Mister Peebody is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Found Some Mud

I guess a 325/50/22 Terra Grappler is "low profile" relative to the 315/70/17 (2" shorter sidewall), but it is definitely not the typical "the chrome won't get you home" situation.
Anyway. The tide was low, but at one point I had water lapping at the door. We were driving along a washed out beach front road. All was well until, yes, it sunk! Talk about muck. I walked around to the passenger side of the truck and I sunk in it to my shins. I was with a buddy in a rigged out '77 Wrangler fitted with a 350ci chevy engine. We busted his winch attempting to pull it out backwards and forward. Almost dug the Jeep in. Ended up calling a recovery service. 80 yr old gentleman shows up in a bone stock F-150 4x4 with a tow hook in the receiver hitch. He apparently saw my dismay as I evaluated his rig and explained to me that technique was more important than size and power. He had enough tow strap to pull from high/solid ground about 150 feet away (north and east of my location). He connected said straps to my front tow hooks and his rear tow hook, instructed me to turn my wheels toward the direction of his truck and give it some gas when I see his truck start to move. He backed up to put some slack in the straps and drove forward giving enough of a jolt to break the suction. Three of those firm tugs and I was out. His truck never even got dirty. A good time was had by all. I plan on doing it again, once I get a winch and some Trail Grapplers. Had I had a winch, I coulda used a strap around his side frame rail and pulled myself free, maybe.

BTW, you can't tell from the previously posted pictures, but my truck has Nerf bars on it. I was buried to the rock guards.

Last edited by Mister Peebody : 08-05-2012 at 01:24 AM.