View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 11:17 PM
Hummer Expert

RazM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Grayling Snow Run '09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nips
That was my main goal for the weekend, test the limits of the H3T. I got stuck once before that but didn't get any pics. The H1 that came to pull me out also got stuck in that area. There was sand underneith so once you lost your momentum you were done.

You weren't testing the limits of the H3T, you were testing the limits of your tires

In that particular spot, it only looks to be about 16-18 inches of snow. I've been through more last year (to a point where the doors were almost impossible to open) and the M/T's pulled me through.

From my experience, the moment you start feeling the slightest loss of momentum, stop, and reverse into the existing tracks you've already made. When you feel you have enough leeway, go for it again and repeat the process until you've made it. Never gun it forward, you'll just digg deeper until you hit ground.

P.S. I know this somewhat contradicts what I've said before, when I said "just don't stop", but I meant that for a very different situation (for example, getting over/through a large pile of snow) where momentum will push you over and not get you high-centered. For very long runs in deep snow you're better off using the above technique. Never let the truck get into the "rocking" motion for too long, that's when it's trying to get more and more grip and when the digging happens.

Last edited by RazM : 01-20-2009 at 12:28 AM.