Thread: First Snow
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 06:18 PM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First Snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor
So on snow pack is there a need to put it in 4hi? I sometimes do because it makes me feel better. I alway drive the same with it on or off though, so it's hard to tell if its doing anything.

All my snow driving is on the mountain pass roads so there's really no place to put control to the test.
That's a good question...I can't really speak to which is truly better in snow. Trying to get traction in a slippery mess is different that trying to get traction on a dry, obstacle-ridden terrain. Judging from my experiences, the level of control and amount of traction feel about the same between the two in snow; so I generally roll with everything unlocked.

Thinking about it, I guess I feel 'better' with the truck unlocked in snow...that way the computer and the TC are controlling the torque, allowing it to adjust and compensate as needed. Like I said...slippery is different; on terrain you can judge what and where you need the torque to get traction...but slippery is just slippery and unpredictable and can screw you in a heartbeat.