View Single Post
Old 09-23-2003, 08:59 PM

Drag is off the scale

From what I understand, the diesel engine doesn't meet Federal emissions standards after '05. Sure, it might give better towing power now, but would we have to modify the engine once emission standards come into effect? I bet GM would have to if the laws call for the engine to emit certain ammounts of NOx but I don't know if that means for models sold before the 05 model year or only 05 and later. Either way, the only way that diesels will pass emissions control standards is with particulate traps and huge exhaust mods, so think about the added cost on the hood......

Also, diesel is not that much cheaper anymore, (In my neck of the woods it's $1.42 for regular, $1.39 for diesel) so even with possible better fuel mileage, (that is, if the diesel had particulate traps on it, since particulate traps restrict the engine breathing and lowers your power output)the amount of money that you save is miniscule, and the extra cost of the diesel engine means a longer time until you have positive equity in the vehicle, even with increased gas savings.

I had initially thought that the diesel would be a good idea, but now that I think more about it, the gas engine looks good, and what the hell, I want an SUT! If I can swing the financing, then I'm going to go for the '06 or '07 model and by that time I'd hope that the Vortec gets a horsepower upgrade, too.

Corvette= "The ability to pass with class"