View Single Post
Old 09-19-2006, 01:09 AM
Hummer Professional

ChevyHighPerformance is off the scale
Default Re: roof rails - cracked - dealer / gm issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmmm3
I have a 'shattering' sound in the molding that goes along the top of the windshield when I drive over 65 mph on the freeway. It must be wind going though the molding. I asked the service mgr to check it out. He said there was a bulletin out about the top molding (not the A pillar moldings) and he'd have to call me once they approve the new design and they come in. I don't know if this is true or not. f5fstop, do you know about this one? Sltbluh3, do you think he thought you meant that molding?

Here's what I did to solve the noise problem:

1) Each roof rail has two tabs that fit into two rectangular slots on the windshield trim piece. If you tap on the location where these pieces meet, you'll find your noise location. Open the door and remove the rubber door seal trim piece - it just slides off. This will expose two phillips screws on the windshield trim piece. Remove both screws and remove this trim piece. There are several friction plug fasteners along the face (facing the front) - so you have to pull away/perpendicular from the windshield and slide the trim piece from the tabs. This sounds much harder than it is.

2) Locate the two rectangular slots that the tabs fit into. Neatly wrap about 3 inches of electrical tape around each the lower portion of the long side of the slot. This is the lip farthest away from the body of the trim piece. The idea is to make the tab fit snuggly into the slot and by putting tape around the bottom your keeps the trim piece closer to the roof - you might need more tape - experiment.

3) There is a 1 inch wide ~3 inch long piece of foam rubber under this trim piece that interfaces with the trim piece that goes along the entire top of the windshield. You should see where this foam is compressed/taken a set. This foam is pushing up on the trim piece not letting the trim piece fit flush at the top of the windshield and allowing air to go underneath to cause vibrations. I slit the foam piece long ways everywhere it was compressed - so I reduced the thickness of the foam so the trim piece could sit closer to windshield.

4) When you reinstall the trim piece, slide the trim piece up to close the gap where it meets the roof rails. Then reinstall the screws, and then the rubber seal. If the gap is still too big. The roof rails need loosened (several torque screws need loosened) and the rails can slide forward - the rail have slots for the screws to permit some adjustment.

I still have a slight gap at the top of the windshield, but it isn't too bad. And, no noise!