View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011, 05:56 AM
Hummer Veteran

cdmintmi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newbie here: Question on tires & wheels

Hey PacNWAg98 congrats one your H3 and welcome to the forum,

Im sure youve read about a thousand threads on tires and it all just depends on what you want. I have 315/75 toyo MT's on my stock wheels (basically a 35x12.5) and its also been leveled. You will find the ride to be quite stiffer on the surface streets, if you dont the wife probably will. I dont mind it but Ive always had a truck and MT's so Im probably just used to it. You will also notice a very noticable drop in fuel economy as well. I was getting around 18 or 19 mpg and now Im getting around 15 or 16 even less when Im in the mountains and climbing hills all the time. Youre speedodometer will also be off a little and the computer CAN NOT be programmed for 35's. GM dropped the ball on that one. Probably be around 5 mph slower than actual speed. But these things arent race cars so it hasnt been a problem for me.

I did the leveling and tires at 35k miles and now have 125K with no problems due to these mods. You will find the tires will rub on the sway bar at full lock, you may be able to avoid this since youre buying new wheels by getting a different back spacing on your new wheels, but it doesnt really bother me and I havent had a problem with it. The turning radius on these things is pretty impressive to begin with.

I dont have much experience with Nitto's but I have heard they are pretty loud on the highway, not that all MT's arent but Ive heard they were louder than others. (Just a side note..the toyos can be pricey but I did get just over 70K miles out of my toyos, I just replaced them for the first time this winter. I think its becuase they are 10ply and load range E on a 4500lbs truck. I mean concrete trucks run Loade range E tires. They just last forever, not sure what others are getting out of them or other tires though.)

The tire and wheel package youve picked should all work out. But yes they rub, yes youre going to loose some fuel economy, yes youre going to hear your tires more on the highway, yes the spare will fit (with not much clearance with the bumper, but it fits), yes the ride will be stiffer, and yes the speedo will be off a little....But also..yes your truck will be even more capable, it will look much better, and you will probably like it (I do anyways )

Main thing is what are you going to do with your tuck, and what do you want. If youre going to drive it everyday and go light wheeling once a month, you might want to go with slightly smaller tires like 33's to save some gas. But if youre going to really put it through its paces avery now and then, Id keep the 35's. I mean come on....35's really look nice on these trucks!!!

Well hope this wasnt too long and hope you have a great time in youre 3....Heres some pics of my H3. You might have seen these in other post but Ill post them here to make them easier to find. I know if you search tires on the forum you get about 3 weeks of reading....

This is my truck

Mine parked next to a stock H3

And just to assure you...They will fit in the fender wells.
06 H3, Boulder Grey (somtimes/mostly just mud, color of mud varies), Leveling Kit, 35" Toyo Open Country M/T's, Westin chrome nerf bar, chrome brush guard, Chrome kit, chrome roof bars, navigation, XM,
brush gaurd lights. Want: 4" or 6" lift, rock rails to replace the steps, roof rack w/lights, want a rack above the spare on rear door, custom seat covers...should be done then but I doubt it