View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 04:28 PM
Hummer Veteran

Egan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2 Inch Lift on H2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomp
Warning: the shock extensions I have seen are too tall for OEM length H2 shocks. To test this, ensure vehicle is on level ground at stock ehight in the front and resting on the bump stops, disconnect the bottom of the shock and see if you can push it up higher then where it would mount to the shock extension bracket. If you can't push it up where the shock's bolt hole goes up higher than the hole in the shock extension, you are either riding on a bottomed out shock if or slamming down on a bottomed out shock when the front end comes down on the bump stops. The latter is the case if you have cranked the TBs. This is true with all H2 shock extensions that I have seen to date. Yes, this is another mark against Truxx.

The reason this is a problem is because these companies assume the H2's shocks are the same as the 2500HD pickup trucks. The shocks are not the same and only have half of the travel that the 2500HDs have.

To correct this problem you must determine the proper amount to shorten the shock extension (to get your shocks into the right range of travel) or use the 2500HD shocks.

The reason the H2's have less travel is because they have extension and compression bump stops in them where the 2500HD shocks only have extension stops. This takes some of the travel away.

Here is the way you need to think about it: Consider the fact that you are pushing up the bottom of the shock much higher than you would be when at factory height and resting on the frame mounted stops.

If anyone doubts what I am saying here, call Rancho and ask them why their online Shock Specifications show H2's shocks with 2.5" of travel and the 2500HD has 4.6". You can also see in this same manual there is a symbol next to the H2's shocks in two places. This "cross" symbol is shown for both compressed length and extended length. This shock symbol is there to inform you of the included bump stops. Notice the 2500HD shocks only show the symbol once?

Also, for those of you thinking it is okay to rest on the stops - think again. Your shocks will start degrading very quicky as you are beating the heck out of them. I went through several sets of shocks and my ride quality went horrible fast - compared to a new vehicle. This was the cause of it!

BTW, my ride quality with torsion bars cranked is much better than stock now

Sorry to bump and old thread, but I found this during an image search on Google and it turns out to be good timing because I am putting together my front suspension right now.

I have Cognito UCA's, Truxx shock extenders and keys, and plan to crank the torsion keys up 2" or so. I bought Bilstein 5100's from http://www.dmaxstore.com and after reading the above bold section I probably ended up with the 2500HD shocks (part# F4-BE5-D146-H1). I have the driver's side done and I had to compress the snot out of the shock to get it to line up with the bracket holes (I haven't cranked the keys yet).

If I ended up with the longer travel shocks from the 2500HD, do I need to go back to the stock lower shock mount or am I okay with the extended ones?
Cognito UCA's
Kryptonite Tie Rods
Kryptonite Swaybar End Links
Traxda Keys
Traxda Rear Coil Spacers
Bilstein Shocks
TruCool Tranny Cooler
Corvette Servo
Gobi Ranger Roof Rack
Gobi Bed Rack
Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT: Nav, Bluetooth, iPOD, Backup Camera
Valentine 1 w/ Blend Mount