View Single Post
Old 10-26-2005, 12:19 PM
Hummer Veteran

BLOWNZO6 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by md_sailor:
I'm sure many of us would like to Keep the Factory XM and GPS equipment. It would simplify things greatly. Not to mention expand the appeal to all the Lux owners out here with Factory GPS and XM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The factory GPS unit is tied into the onstar unit and the signal is created in the box. You would have to hack into the box to use the factory antenna. The new GPS antenna is very easy to run and about 1.5" in diameter. The factory XM unit is an add on unit and I have tried to incorporate it.

I don't see how it would simply things at all? If you did not have GPS or XM, the cost to go and buy factory XM and GPS units would far outweigh the cost of the aftermarket ones. The way I have decided to intergrate the computer is the most cost effective way. I have had the Onstar unit apart and investigated using the factory GPS antenna and the work required to tap into it would far outweigh the cost of the aftermarket parts.

You do have the option of continuing to use your factory radio. You can feed the computer into the AUX port on the radio and just switch the factory radio to AUX and make a screen mount for the screen elsewhere. This was what I did the entire time I was originally testing the system.