View Single Post
Old 07-02-2010, 12:56 AM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Future of Hummer value?

Vehicles make poor investments - there's maintenance, insurance, depreciation. I've owned several collector cars - the Corvettes did the best and the only one I really did well on was a Dukes of Hazzard Charger TV close up car, I bought in 1982 kept in the garage and polished it and drove it in a few parades and sold it when the movie came out in 2005 - but after you factor in 23 years of insurance and a new head gasket on the 440 engine, 18,000 miles of 9 mpg on premium gas with 4:11 gears - it was just about a break even. I don't think you'll sell your Hummer for a profit if you drive it for several years - but, so what, if you love driving it. I had fun in every car I've owned and enjoyed driving them. Honestly, I've enjoyed my two Hummers the most of anything except maybe the '65 396 I bought new, and the M5- yep, I'm an old fart! Hummers are fairly easy to maintain and people that want them aren't that concerned about gas. I plan on keeping my H2 until they bury me and maybe get another H3 someday, only used this time. When it comes to cost of maintaining a car or vehicle, very little can hold a candle to a high performance BMW V8 out of warranty. Cars that hold their value like a Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, or Prius, and the ones Consumer Reports likes are BORING and aren't that much fun to drive and when your gas gauge in life is approaching empty and you look back on things - fun in driving means a lot. As for how others feel about Hummers, I could care less if they sneer at me when I drive by - I LOVE HER and enjoy driving it every time I take it out, rather on pavement or dirt!

Last edited by HummerJim : 07-02-2010 at 01:10 AM.