Old 11-27-2006, 11:44 AM
Hummer Novice

Ed Coryell is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rear Brake/Axle Groan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
...upon heavy braking.

This is being rephrased....
The problem will be worked on Today, on my vehicle.
Appears to happen only with warm brakes and a heavy stop. Light stopping does not seem to cause the groan.
I'll keep you guys/gals informed.

I took my H3 in last week because it started making the same noise when I braked a little harder than just slowing to a stop. I had it in a couple months ago for a different noise that turned out to be the transfer case (that was discussed in another thread), and they replaced that at ~ 12 K miles. They had my H3 for 2-1/2 days, did the sound tests, spoke with the GM engineers, and determined that it's a design problem with the rear brakes. They said it isn't a safety issue and that the brakes work fine, but that because of all the complaints they've been getting about the noise (at least three more came in to my dealer in the day after I dropped mine off, plus others across the country), that GM engineers will be redesigning the rear brakes and will probably issue a recall when they've worked out the noise problem.

FYI - I also had the driver's door light switch replaced - the connection went bad in the middle of the night a couple weeks ago, turning on the dome light and setting off the alarm. It stopped doing it the next day (maybe there was some moisture in the switch?), but I asked them to replace it anyway.

I'll keep you posted when I find out more.