View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008, 10:21 PM
Hummer Veteran

BigKofJustice is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Picking up a nice used H1 2001 36,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoGMPG

Lockers made them easy.

Geared hubs seals need replacing at 20k intervals? Huh?

Brakes expensive? Huh?

Power steering box clamp? leaks? Huh?

Steering components, definately! Idler, pitman, even ball joints.

If I had a TT4 truck the very first thing I'd buy for it is lockers, I just don't like trusting the computer tto decide when it should activate or not. I've seen TT4 trucks get damaged more because you had to goose the gas more often when you are on tough rocks or in tight spaces before the TT4 decides to engage. BTM isn't as good as an option as it is on the 92-98 trucks because they changed the bias ratio on the diffs on the TT4 trucks [although the ones with the Eatons are different I believe].

Yeah but with the rest I agree, not expensive. My Geared hub seals were fine at 80,000 miles, it's about 40$ in seals and about 2 hours of work to replace my seals on a hub, less then that if its just a spindle seal.

Brakes are super cheap, only thing thats the pain is the rear calipers, the newer trucks from AM General [HMMWV] have a new Caliper design with quick release tabs for the pads, you can do a brake job in the field in 10 minutes according to AMG.

Leaks are cheap to fix, just carry silicon tape and a bunch of hose clamps.

Steering parts you can get in a kit for a few hundred .

If you use it as its meant to be used, then you'll have to replace parts, thats normal wear and tear. If you just want to street queen an H1 most of the components will last a long time with proper maintenance.

Unfortunately many trucks aren't properly maintained. I brought my truck from a guy who had a few, and knew them well so I know my truck was properly maintained for years.