View Single Post
Old 12-17-2004, 12:30 PM
Hummer Authority

devilsfan is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Arnold McBain:
Fine, sounds like you need an SUV. Most people here in the 'burbs, don't, and certainly not a Hummer.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And exactly who are you to judge? So we should all send you our personal accounts of how we use our vehicles on a mile-by-mile basis in order to obtain your blessing? You have no idea who "needs" an SUV and who doesn't.

I am seriously interested in your knowledge of the current automotive market and how it fits the needs of consumers. Challenge: find me a vehicle that meets YOUR approval and the following criteria (and gets good gas mileage, according to your standards) and I will be happy to look into it - seriously:

1. Has room to carry 2 50-lb dogs and an infant on a regular basis. By "carrying" the dogs, they must be able to stretch out and lie down comfortably, and the rear space must NOT contain any gaps in the floor or between the 3rd row fold down seats (if applicable) such as in the Dodge Durango. This could seriously injure a dog. With an infant in the back seat, this means the 2nd row cannot be folded down and any space between the 2nd row seat and the back hatch must have enough room for the dogs to lay down AND stand to turn around if needed. This thereby excludes the BMW X3 and X5, Nissan Murano, and FX35/45 series.

2. Have GOOD off-road capabilities without me putting $$$ into it. I don't want to have to modify a vehicle with so many aftermarket parts that it will void my warranty. By "capabilities," this includes ground clearance, suspension parts, and undercarriage protection. This is a serious hobby for me, and I cannot afford to have 2 vehicles - one for fun and one for work. Whichever vehicle I buy must encompass both. This excludes 80% of the SUVs on the market, every minivan, and every station wagon.

3. Must be reliable. This includes data from R&T, Consumer Reports, and owner statements. This immediately excludes the VW Touareg, Chevy Trailblazer and Jeep Cherokee.

4. Costs $50,000 or less. This excludes the Toyota Landcruiser, Porsche Cayenne and Range Rover.

5. Must fit MY idea of beauty. I am a car collector - they are my form of art. There are many SUVs out there I find attractive. The Land Rover Discovery and LR3 are not on that list.

I'm serious here. Find me a car to replace my H2, because my H2 is the only vehicle that I've found to fit all the criteria.

Stacy