View Single Post
Old 01-12-2007, 05:46 PM
Hummer Veteran

hmcoleap is on a distinguished road
Default Re: winch question...

You are right - a WARN won't fit between the front frame rails - if you want to save your approach angle you need to go Milemarker.

I hate to fire up a classic hydraulic vs. electric winch thread (third only to religion and politics for generating arguments until the end of time), but...

I had a hydro milemarker for years... it rarely worked when I needed it most, and I found that the already overtaxed hydroboost and power steering system did not take kindly to the extra load -- not to mention you can't BTM and winch at the same time, which is absolutely necessary for real bad stuck situations!

I also ran into a problem one day where a fuel delivery problem kept making my truck stop running. I also blew up my transfer case that day on a very technical trail, so I had to winch my way out. Without the electric, I would have been stranded, since I often had to winch my truck to a new position to get it restarted (return fuel line was getting pinched, as I later learned: http://hummer.off-road.com/hummer/ar....jsp?id=328877 )

Bottom line is, the hydraulic wouldn't have worked if the engine wasn't running, so the electric saved my butt.

I switched it out for a milemarker electric, and have never had a problem since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgharkness020147
The aftermarket winches (MileMarker) do not affect the approach/departure angles at all. The Warn significantly affects these angles. To date there is no way to correct this on the Warn. The Warn winch is HUGE. I have no idea how one could stuff it in to the space that a MileMarker fits in to. Either way, get a MileMarker. They are smaller, cost less money, they weigh a ton less, and overall work better. I've got a hydro (that does not work right now ) and it kicks ass. Its slower then the electrics, but it will do a continous pull all day long, say goodbye to hot and cold cycles. And it does not drain your batteries at all.

-----------------------

/''T''|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**"\)_)

manny(at)serious4x4.com
http://www.serious4x4.com