View Single Post
Old 09-22-2006, 04:58 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Aftermarket Wheels & Service Tire Pressure Monitor - SVC TPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunH3
Yeah, that was what I was wondeirng........if the actual TPM Sensors were in the vavlestem caps. I figured they were, but just wanted to make sure. I'm gonna try swapping those from my stock wheels and see if I can do the reset with the computer then.

Thanks!

The actual sensor is inside mounted to the rim, the valve is metal and acts as a antenna to send the signal to the BCM.
If your new rims have the right mounting surface and distance from the mounting surface to the hold for the stem, the sensors should fit.
However, I will guess that not all aftermarket rims will allow for the installation of the sensor.
On vettes, if the sensor did not fit, they would epoxy the sensor to the center of the rim, and help hold with a giant tie strap (I have some that are three feet long). Then install a standard rubber valve stem and the tire. All the sensor has to do is send a signal with the pressure reading.
If the signal from the sensor reaches the BCM all is well. If it won't then the TPM will turn on warning you of a problem.
The dealer does not have any way to turn this off since it is mandated by a Federal Law.