View Single Post
Old 10-16-2006, 05:11 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Will my spare tire still be useful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Baker
I can see that there are some interesting differences of opinion! Buying the same tire (and therefore wheel) for the spare is not such an easy option because of:

a) The extra cost Are you kidding me? You can afford to buy a 60K truck and expensive rims/ tires but not a fifth?
b) Possible changes in the mounting of the spare on the back of the car.

There arer pleanty of people here that have their 20"/22" spare back there. What "alterations" do you have to do? If it's just the license plate, that's easy and takes less time to move your plate to the bumper with a new light than it does to go to the store and but the $5.00 light.

In my case I cannot mount my 37x13.5 R20 Nitto Mud Grappler on the frame at the back of the car without making some alterations. These alterations would then make it impossible to mount my current spare, which is the same as my every-day tires (LT325/60 R20 Nitto Terra Grappler).

Pardon my rookie ignorance, but is is not the case that, unless the difference in rotational speed causes the TC to think there is slip (and therefore applies brakes to the smaller wheel), the diff should compensate? Of course I will not be able to lock the center diff, or the rear diff....
Get the fifth tire/ wheel, you will ruin your truck.