View Single Post
Old 11-27-2002, 12:31 PM

KAC is off the scale

I've used the Pioneer system for a few days now. I also previously used the Alpine system in my Acura MDX.

The Pioneer is a little more complicated to set up but once it's set up, it's much easier to use. The Alpine had a touch screen which made data entry easier. The Pioneer has voice activation - once you have an address stored, just say your destination and the system does the rest. Another nice thing about the Pioneer is that you can set it to automatically "okay" out of the lawyer screen at the beginning - you couldn't do this with the Alpine. Every single time you start the vehicle, you have to push the 'okay' button before you can use the system. It doesn't sound like that big of a deal but it got to be a pain.

The Pioneer system will also play DVDs but you can't use the nav system while a DVD is playing.

The Pioneer system lets you assign sounds to locations - I assigned a dog bark to home (seems appropriate with 4 large dogs at home). When I get 1/4 mile away from home, I hear barks.

The Pioneer system searches by region when you're looking for a destination by name. The Alpine system searches the entire country so you end up with every Bennigan's listing in the country to scroll through to find the one that's nearby. It's helpful to have a smaller list. You can still access addresses across the country.

Overall, so far, I'm happy with the Pioneer system.

Kim

KAC
'03 Red Adv Series