Thread: Rubicon VS H2
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2003, 05:39 AM

Mike97ZJ is off the scale

Sounds like a great setup you got there Musky.

Steve, don't get me wrong, I think the H1 is cool and capable in it's own unique way. You can't strap a parachute to many other vehicles and throw them out of cargo planes, that's for sure. Also, it's fording depth while equiped with a snorkel is impressive.

The H1 just wasn't built for technical wheeling. For one thing, it's just too damn big to fit down most trails. Also, it was designed with the lead footed serviceman in mind. It's not about finessing it's way over obstacles, it's about crashing over them at high speed. Problem is, most people don't drive like that in the rear world, not when you have to make payments on the thing.

Then again, different vehicles work better than others for different kind of wheeling. I think the terrain that we wheel on is very different. Most trails I run, a Hummer wouldn't even fit. And if it did, it would be severely limited in the number of different lines that it could take. Yes, they are stable on sidehills, as long as they are relatively smooth. I think it's nice to be able to keep all four wheels on the ground, and most pics of H1's that I've seen have been of it 3 wheeling because of the lack of suspension flex. Also, that long wheelbase and low rocker clearance lead to a lowsy breakover angle and can make it prone to body damage. I've seen more than one shot of a H1 high centered on a relatively mild hill.

How about this: Just about all the mag reviews of the H2 that I've read say it is BETTER off road than the H1. What do you think of that?

*member of the \"No Hummer Krew\"*