View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 12:18 AM
Hummer Veteran

DTHVLY is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, I know this is a Hummer forum so I’ll stop busting your balls. I guess well just have to agree to disagree about which vehicle is better off-road.
Getting back to the original topic of this Thread “Will the FJ be a threat to the H3?” I don’t know if threat is the right word but whether you want to admit it or not the FJ will be competition as far as sales go especially to younger buyers. The dealership I talked to already had a waiting list and deposits for their first 6-9 month allocation of FJ’s and Toyota won’t even release prices until late December. Like the H3 and H2 the FJ is a very capable 4x4 that has a novelty look, it’s the type of vehicle they will model diecast replicas and remote control cars after, so if for no other reason than it’s look it will be competition, off-road ability aside.
The way the H3 is a compromise between a luxury SUV and an off-road SUV the FJ is a great compromise between the H3 and a Jeep wrangler or wrangler unlimited. It has a shorter wheelbase like the wrangler unlimited but still has four doors and the options and refinement of a Toyota SUV.

Things I have considered before choosing one over the other.
_______
H3 pros
-Rock sliders
-32/33” tires
-crawl ratio
-rear locker
-approach/departure angles
-under body protection
-large recovery loops
-off-road lights
-sunroof
_______
H3 cons
-push button 4wd
-underpowered
-no GPS
-fulltime 4wd
-front end sets lower than rear
-poor outward visibility
-shock mounts hang 3-4” below rear axle (rock bait)
-GM quality
_______
FJ pros
-Rock sliders
-32/33” tires
-6 speed manual / 5 speed auto
-rear locker
-removable GPS
-transfer case shifter
-ground clearance
-short wheel base
-horsepower and torque
-heavy duty basket roof rack
-off-road lights
-115V AC outlet
-off-road options
-Toyota reliability
_______
FJ cons
-no sunroof
-blind spot
-color selection
-???

I know that a lot of you are diehard Hummer fans and will stay the course but there are at least a couple of you on this board who will not only consider buying an FJ but will be driving one next year.

Happy Trails…