View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Hummer Expert

LoJac963 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: LoJac963's Deuce Build

Sorry accely I didn't realize there was a new post here.

I had multiple issues with the Plasti Dip. I didn't prep my wheels before spraying it because I wasn't sure how I would like the black. Needless to say after the first auto carwash 3 of the wheels started peeling around the outer perimeter.

I cut out the peeled sections and resprayed those portions, it never looked as good. Then eventually with the sun it started to turn gray around the edges.

My turning point was when I decided I wanted to take the center caps off for good and find nice looking lugs. After wirebrushing the hell out of the center of the hubs to spray them with the low gloss black I decided that's what I was going to do with the rims also.

As far as prep I just took a red 3m pad to all the chrome and textured surfaces to scuff them up a little. Just enough to get them a little matte. Actually when I decided to do this all the auto stores were closed so I ran to wal mart and picked up some Rust-Oleum automotive primer. Their spray tip sprays a ton of paint.

One can easily covered all 4 wheels. After that dried I sprayed 2 good coats of the Dupli-Color Low Gloss Black. I just sprayed in sections with an overlapping wet coat. Let them dry for about an hour then threw them back on the rig since it was sitting on 4 jackstands.

Let me know if you have any other questions!