Thread: On-Star trouble
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2007, 02:10 AM
Hummer Guru

jmsspratlin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: On-Star trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
Not all GM dealers will or can even service a Hummer. Hummer requires some special tools for many repairs, and only Hummer dealers would have these tools.

Now, on to the problem.
With a 2006 H2 you have a generation 6.1 analog/digital Onstar module.
I would recommend, removing the Onstar fuse under the hood, and let the system sit for five or ten minutes. Re-install the fuse, and see if the system operates.
The problem could be the module, and this could be a bigger pain the arse then it sounds. Last I heard, Onstar modules are on restricted ordering, so after the dealer performs the diagnostics and discovers a box is bad, they have to order from technical assistance. Tech assist oks the shipment of the module to the dealer, then it is installed and programmed to the vehicle.
It could also be a bad connection between the module and the antenna, or a bad antenna.
Now, this one is tricky. If you press the emergency button and connect, but you cannot connect via the normal call button, then the system is probably operating ok; however, the local cellular service is not recognizing your Onstar module. If you do this step; PLEASE make sure to immediately tell the Onstar operator you are either diagnosing the system or you accidentally hit the button. If you hear, Onstar Request has Ended," without pressing the end button, the system was able to connect, but not able to complete the call.
Most of the diagnostics for Onstar require a Tech 2.

Now, if you are in the military, try a local GM dealer and explain the problem. They, if they want, can service an Onstar module, and it requires nothing special other than the Tech 2, which is used by all GM dealers. Service procedures for Hummers is included in their online electronic service information received from GM, so they can't say they do not have the procedures. For programming, the information comes through TIS, they have access to TIS. Parts for an any GM vehicle can be ordered from any GM dealer (excluding Saturn and Saab). Even the WINS warranty system, can pay any GM dealer for any repair. Might take a phone call, but it can be done (except for Saturns and Saab).

Good luck.

Very helpful...thanks a mil. I will try the fuse removal in the morning. I really hope that's the fix. These dealers down here are not only sorry, but also lazy. No one wants to provide quality work anymore. Hell, if I had that attitude at work, people would die.