View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 05:40 AM
Hummer Expert

LoJac963 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: LoJac963's Deuce Build

Next update:

I fitted in 4" round LED lights into my DRL's. The light itself if 4" but a total of 5" including the bottom mounting boss. I'll go over the install here.

These are my stock DRL's. You can see the lens is completely burned away at the top, as was the oem 4114 burned at the base. I don't know why these things run so hot.

If you've seen this thread I also added the ceramic substrate SMD LED towers which were pretty bright however these LED lights blow the towers out of the water:

Here's the lights, the right one has the mounting boss ground off:

Better pic of the mounts ground off and painted:

The back of the lights have 4 holes for mounting tabs as a second mounting option. What I did was cut some 2" long 10-32 thread studs. Screwed them into the lights and secured them with a washer and nylon lock nut:

After that it's all downhill. Those studs will fit exactly into the factory holes. I put another nylon locking nut and washer before the end of the threads to prevent the light from falling back. Then one more washer and regular nut on the back of the bumper to hold everything tight.

This way the heatsink fins do not touch any of the plastic of the bumper, these lights do get pretty toasty. I'd imagine driving though the should stay cool with wind blowing over them.

Here's a pic of one installed:

Another pic:

My LED towers were very bright compared to the factory bulbs. Here's the comparison between my LED towers on the left and the new LED lights on the right:

I still have to do the wiring, the pic above was just connected with jumpers. Shouldn't be difficult though, couple of pins, heatshrink and done.