View Single Post
Old 09-15-2015, 02:53 AM

jsbihn is on a distinguished road
Default Help! Leaking coolant

Ok. So I did the radiator bypass for the transmission cooler. It has been some time and suddenly I see an intermittant low coolant message on my display. I get around to filling up the resevoir. So stupid me (or stupid Hummer depending on which way you look at it) couldnt read the writing on the side of the resevoir that is blocked by hoses and facing towards the drivers side.... and I fill the whole resevoir up.
Ok.... After that I ran a few emergency med calls this weekend (which if you dont realize I do emergency fire medic for my fire dept - among other things... and I use my own vehicle) which means quick start up quick take off (well as quick as a H2 can take off) and then running down the road at speed and driving it a bit hard til I get to the destination, which usually then is a quick shut down and a run into the house.....

So here is the weird help thing.
I get done.... I dont remember seeing any coolant leaking after the runs, but then again I didnt look. The next day.... casual day to take my daughter to school. pull back into my house.... leaking quite a bit from the passengers side. Almost a drip a second. The resevoir which I filled 2 days earlier is half or better gone.
Ok, so me and my friend look through it this weekend short of pulling everything apart (we did remove the skid plate). Couldnt really see anything other than everything was covered in dex-cool. Ok we ran it for a while. i brought it up to 3k and kept it up there for a few minutes and no dripping. the temp gauge is showing 190ish (no over heating). No lights no warnings. He cant see a drip. So we kill it and of course now we see the resevoir has gone up quite a bit. So we figure the system pressurized and it over flowed. Ok so I figure it had to just be an overflow so today I drive it over to the local post office. About a 15 minute drive in stop and go traffic. I get out and I dont see anything. I got to walmart and still nothing, but I come back and I see a leak.... this time it isnt on the passengers side but instead on the drivers side. HUH?? Same size same one drip per second. So I cant figure out what is going on. Of course I know I need to get in and see more clearly, but any idea? I mean a leak that switches sides? Anyone have any ideas since of course the platform the radiator sits on blocks the view and such

Thanks