View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 12:23 AM
Hummer Veteran

ctluba is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Black mirrors and handles installed!!

There is a step by step tutorial w/photos on another hummer forum. If you google you will have no problem finding it. I posted it one time but it was taken down because it was another forum, I guess.

The door handles are very easy. If you open the door and look on the edge of the door, in line with the handle, you will see a black rubber plug. pull the plug out and you will see a bolt. Remove the bolt. This lets you remove the "end piece" off the door handle. You then pull the handle as if opening the door. Use the heal of your hand and hit the end of the door handle toward the back of the truck. The handle pops out. To install the new handle you stick the end in the hole, hit the handle, it pops in, re-install the end cap with the bolt, put the rubber plug in = done. All the handles are the same.

The mirror caps take a little longer. Use a screw driver and pry the edge of the mirror up, using the mirror cap to pry against. The mirror will slide up in the slots it is mounted in. Pop the mirror off. There are then some screws that hold the mirror cap in place. remove the screws and cap comes off. Put the new cap on and replace the screws. The mirror then slides back into the slots on the mounting plate. Takes a little bit of effort to get it seated and centered.

I am not a mechanic and not very good with my hands. I was able to do the whole job with no problems and everything looks and works like it came from the factory. I also was nervous as I wanted things to be "right" and not do a hack job on my new truck. The above description is "ok" but you will need the photos in the tutorial to better understand how to do each step.

Good luck.

Last edited by ctluba : 03-12-2010 at 12:26 AM.