View Single Post
Old 10-16-2006, 10:17 PM
Hummer Expert

Beastmaster is off the scale
Default Re: looking at buying an older H1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXH1X5
So what did Susan say ...or better yet, what did she do when she found out about that "little matter of $14,320"

What your example/personal experience does NOT take into consideration is the fact you started out with a 5 model year old 1997.5. So now factor in all the costs to bring, say a 9-12 model year old ...1997 ...or a 1996 ...or a 1995 ...or even a 1994 just up to the level you STARTED at ...like $5,000 for a HVAC upgrade, etc., etc.!

Hehe..she's aware of it. Some of the mods, she's actually condoned or recommended, so she's fully aware of what's gone into the truck. Stuff like the Jump Seat, or the knee mod that I inherited when I bought a spare doghouse, the roof rack, and the slantback shell were all "approved" as a good idea for mods.

Now that my truck is pretty much settled in, hers is getting ready for the makeover, once everything arrives.

I will agree that each truck is individual - you won't know until you actually end up with it. However, even trucks like a 1994 have their own place and sometimes can even have and advantage - like all mechanical IP's (yay!).

And then you have some owners who don't want to do any mods at all - they leave it stock, and just handle the parts/labor side.

Definitely, I think we both agree that getting a truck that was maintained on schedule and consistently makes a huge difference in the first year's cost of ownership.