View Single Post
Old 07-24-2006, 08:33 PM
Hummer Authority

Wisha Haddan H3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying new pistol, need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by evldave
That's a good idea, I've got a bunch of target shooting friends. I'll just borrow there's (done it before, but just for goofing around).

Won't get a Glock - too light. I light a heavy gun, the glocks feel a little too plasticy. Might just be me - haven't shot one before, but I've started looking and haven't found one I like.

don't know what any of that +p+jhp means, but my Karr kicked like a bish and I hated 2 shots in a row, I could never bring it back on target for the 2nd shot. What is a +jhp load?

Sorry for the late reply .. spent the weekend moving. JHP are jacketed hollow points. +P basically means higher pressure and yields higher velocity (for greater penetration). +P+ is an ultra-high pressure load.

It looks like you're on the right track toward picking a defensive pistol. You need a good size round (.40 or larger) in a pistol you're comfortable with (fits in your hand, easy to unsafe, fits your shooting style), with a recoil that gives you accurate follow-up shots.

I'm a big believer in double-taps. Your first shot has to be on target, but if you can re-acquire and fire again, you're more likely to bring down your assailant ... 2 or 4 legged.

As for hardball v hollow-point ammo, hollow-points are great for the amount of damage they can do once inside you. But they can shatter on bones, whereas hardball has a better chance of breaking the bone (or penetrating the skull) and doing it. Soft points in some ways are the best of both worlds. They will spread out for more damage on impact, but don't shatter or split easily when they hit bone.

I love my semi-autos, but you really should test-fire a few revolvers. They don't jam, there's no safety to forget, and they're very accurate with good recoil control. 357s are cool, cause you can practice with the cheaper .38 special round, but you can carry your higher-powered .357s for defense. As for bullet capacity ... I've been told that if you can't solve your problem with 6 rounds, you're dead anyway.