View Single Post
Old 04-28-2006, 04:43 PM
Hummer Authority

ShaggyX is an unknown quantity at this point

I am really not sure why I am posting this on here, but what the hell.

So I got an email a couple of days ago in response to a profile that I have online. Started out pretty standard (traded pics...etc)...nothing out of the ordinary. We start chatting on IM and "she" starts falling in love with me (BS meter starts going off...but I decide to play it out). Then after a little bit more talking "she" admits to being in Nigeria (BS meter off the charts...but curiousity wins out and I continue). So today "she" proceeds to tell me that it will cost "her" $800 to get to the US. I tell "her" "she" is on "her" own for the money but "she" is still IM'ing me about how she will ask her Dad for the money, and she is in love with me, etc, etc.

So I know this is a scam...but I have heard of people actually falling for it and getting screwed out of upto like $10k. I am trying to figure out how that is possible. How gullible and lonely do you have to be to not see through the holes? I am mean...I am pretty gullible...and I am damn sure lonely, but even I am not buying it.

I think the worst part about the whole thing is that I am playing along just to see what "she" says next even though there is about a 99% chance that it is a dude pretending to be a chick. So I suppose my question is...who is more messed up? The dude that is pretending to be a chick so he can e-flirt with some unsuspecting sap and get them to send money. Or the guy that knows it is a scam, but e-flirts back (knowing it is a dude) to kill time, and see how far the scammer will go.