View Single Post
Old 05-22-2007, 04:38 PM
Hummer Novice

www.miami3drenders.com is off the scale
Default Re: Jamboree Rack Design

Great Job!
My observations, as architect:
1. your are creating in some way a path to direct all the weight going down (as static structures should be) but remember, all the weight is "failing" on the four bolts, and there is a lot of different forces compression, extension and torque, every time that you brake, press gas, gravity, overweight, different distribution of weight, etc. my humble opinion is that for your door life, you should put over the less weight as possible in this ingenious rack, and use rather of that the roof rack for heavy weights. Orr builds inside the door a multi-forces-receiver stainless steel bar mesh.
2. At the end is not bad at all over calculate the structure in this case because who cares about 3 pounds more in a hummer, but I?m really sure that right now you can stand up three 200 pounds guys on that rack (if you are using stainless steel as I can see, maybe is aluminum and I?m wrong.
So, now you know, in the next engineering project: less metal and better forces study
Anyway looks practical and ingenious.
Keep inventing solutions, not everybody put dreams in real life, you need ba.. to do it. I love to see guys like you bringing solutions to real life