View Single Post
Old 06-22-2007, 04:30 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BRC in Depth

I worked on this for a little bit....I'll call it a summary:

Q: Question A: Answer C: Comment R: Response

Q: Ken
However, I'd still like to see the top twenty corporate and individual donors, with amounts given, before I concede 100% that so much of what I've read about them is wrong. It's all about the stakeholders.
Who are the 20 top individual and corporate donors and what percentage of your total donations come from them as a group (you don't have to individually post each donor with each dollar amount).

A: Greg
With regard to the top donors, you are asking the wrong question if you are trying to identify who holds the reins of BRC. The right question is who gives you the most money? The answer to that I have already posted here. It is our collective grassroots contingent which represents 85-90% of our budget less advertising dollars. That is who holds the reins. The remainder comes from various other sources. Thank you for not requesting that I individually post each donor with each dollar amount. As I said in my previous comments, it is not my wish to name names and subject those folks to more attacks. It is important that you note that we are not talking big numbers here. Top 20 donors would include individuals and clubs that have donated $1000-$5000. The majority of our funding comes in the range of $5 to $1000 increments.

BTW, the president is listed as Jack Welch on the IRS pages you linked to. Is that the Jack Welch who used to be president of GE? The GE that does all this:
http://www.ge.com/company/businesses/index.html

A: Bebe and Greg
No, not the same

What involvement does your organization have in reopening mining roads and timber roads not for personal outdoor enjoyment, but for businesses to make their way back to the cut off/protected lands?

I?m not sure what kind of question it is other than preloaded with insinuation but, for the record: Even for recreational purpose, it is a very rare occasion that anyone is able to open up any roads and trails that have gone through a legitimate Administrative process. We are more often in the position of trying to prevent access closures that have no legitimate reasoning. It isn?t our job to open roads for business. We represent recreationalists not business. If we have protected access along some corridor to benefit recreation that at some point also provided access for a business or a landowner for example, that is a byproduct and not the point.

Who's your top Washington lobbyist and who else does that person and their firm represent?

The amount of money we spend on lobbying is also listed on our 990. You have to understand what lobbying means in order to understand what you are trying to get to with this question. If I go to DC or to a state and try to influence some piece of legislation, it is lobbying. If I ask you to send a letter to your congressman/woman/person, it is grassroots lobbying. As a 501 (c)(3) we are governed very strictly as to how much lobbying we can or cannot do. We adhere very strictly to those guidelines. You say in your question ?top Washington lobbyist? as if we have a bunch of lobbyists. We don?t. You can see that from our 990 the amount of money spent isn?t what others would have you believe. We work with a firm DC, Birch, Horton, Bittner & Cherot, P.C., as do others although the extent of who those others are, I couldn?t really say. Mostly they would be multiple-use concerns as that is the realm we operate in.