View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Hummer Professional

Scarsman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Question for those who offroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROX
great question

what are they fer? Since they're not like the ones on the Jeep they must be useless? They're for show aren't they?

I uzed one once as a fishing rod holder cuz I thought thats what it wuz fer.

Not sure if that was serious or sarcastic. Just to be clear, I was not meaning they seemed useless since they were not like a Jeep. I was only wondering if people hooked clevises directly to them, or maybe used short straps looped around them.

So, it seems the common method is using a clevis/D-ring directly to the ring.

Quote:
I like to use my rear hitch instead of the recovery rings, especially when pulling someone or something. Put a d-ring through the hole where the hitch ball normally goes. This puts a more even load on the Hummer frame than pulling from a recovery ring which is off center.

I have done this with my trucks in the past, and it does seem to work quite well.

I was thinking of getting a short strap that I could hook one end to each recovery ring. Then hook onto the strap with a clevis. Then the pull force would be split between the two rings. If the pull was off to an angle, then the clevis would just slide on the short strap, still keeping the load on both rings.
Wheels - Black bedliner on stock wheels
Gas cap lid - still chrome but will soon be black bedliner
Tail light guards - still chrome but will be black bedliner
Grill - Still chrome but will be black bedliner
Hmmmm, is there a pattern developing here?

Last edited by Scarsman : 06-07-2010 at 05:56 PM.